Round Three (Final Round?)

I've had a great career so far, and it's still going well. Yet, I have decided to leave the company in search of something else.

It's my fourth season here in Osnabrück. In this time, I think I have changed in more ways than I could have imagined. I feel like a completely different person to the one who arrived back in 2013. My body has altered it's shape, my approach to dance has developed and, of course, my priorities have changed (mostly due to age), which is probably the main reason for my leaving. I'm not unhappy here at all, and I am still growing and challenging myself each day but I felt it was only fair to my director to make a decision, instead of leaving things up in the air. He was disappointed, though he tried not to show it, and I appreciate the fact that he has been nothing but supportive.

Dancing the role of Siegfried in Mauro de Candia's Schwanensee

I'm not quite ready to throw my dancing shoes away (though that day is possibly not too far off), and I would like to take one more stab at auditions. This time, I will be at the barre next to some kid straight out of school. I remember being that kid. One memory I have of my first audition tour is of this man who was dancing with Bejart for many years auditioning for Cullberg Ballet. He was good in spite of being in his later years,  but I recall feeling a little sorry for him. I wonder if these kids will feel sorry for me too, although I probably look younger than some of them.

Another thing that's changed is that I am officially a permanent resident of Germany, so if I don't manage to find anything, I don't have to leave the country, which does make things a little easier than the last time. Also, if I don't get employed, I will move back in with my fiance and take a bit of a break, which wouldn't be such a bad thing. I'm also open to dancing in operettas and musicals as a guest, or perhaps a cruise ship or something crazy like that. At this point, I can't know for sure where I'm going to end up, but I do know it will be somewhere else.

I've just recieved my first audition invitation to Staatstheater Nürnberg. It begins again, but this time I'm really calm about it. Bring on the change!  

Click here to watch my audition showreel.

Comments

Popular Posts